Partnering with Immediate Media, Birds Eye used magazine brands to inspire readers to get creative with their cooking using Birds Eye Petit Pois.
“This partnership was well thought out, with our target audience, the Radio Times and selected digital channels being like peas in a pod.”
-Pete Johnson, General Marketing Manager, Birds Eye
With a crowded market and constant pressure from cheaper products, Bird’s Eye's KPIs were to stamp their authority on Easter, persuade the audience that quality was worth paying more for, and finally to make the nation fall in love with peas again.
The Radio Times is a go-to for Easter television viewing and a great place for advertisers wanting to reach an audience planning their bank holiday weekend. In order to win the hearts and minds of readers, the humble Petits Pois was brought to life in the form of a cute, lovable character that would work as a mascot for the Birds Eye brand.
With over 40 million recipe searches a month, Immediate used their extensive knowledge of what their audience is looking for, combined with trend and seasonal analysis to develop a campaign for Birds Eye.
1. Using their in-house studios, Immediate shot six Easter pea recipes, from canapes to tasteful sides, showcasing the versatility of Birds Eye Petit Pois and shared across the Radio Times and BBC Good Food.
2. Video was also created and distributed at scale using highly targeted data segments across the multiple premium brands of Immediate and Birds Eye's own platforms
3. Social media also played an important role on the content’s visual distribution. Immediate and Bird’s Eye focused on guarantee completed views as they were confident on the quality of the content they produced
4. Finally, Peter the Petit Pois mascot was taken to the Radio Times editorial team and integrated throughout the Easter issue. Woven within the content, Peter was hidden 27 times across the magazine, leading the readers to a competition of spotting him and getting the chance to win a weekend getaway
The partnership was a huge success, in reach and engagement KPIs, and also played a key part on some notable uplifts in sales of Birds Eye Petits Pois.
- 1.1m +organic video views across Immediate in just two weeks
- Average video completion rate of 22%
- 1.36m dwell time on native recipes
- 1.66% CTR on recipe pages
- The videos saw great engagement for Birds Eye across their own platform, including the most watched video ever for them on Facebook with over 4.4m views.
- Birds Eye saw huge uplifts in sales (Nielsen Value Sales, 8 w/e 20/05/17) +48.6%
- The success of Easter led to a repeated, extended Petits Pois partnership between Immediate and Birds Eye at Christmas, which also saw strong results, helping some significant annual uplifts for Birds Eye
You might also like
Sign up to our monthly newsletter for all the latest developments and the brightest thinking in magazine media.