Honda scooped three awards at the 2017 TopGear Car of the Year Awards: Hot Hatch of the Year, International Editors Car of the Year and (the coveted) Car of the Year. TopGear proactively approached Honda with a strategy to dovetail the editorial coverage with paid content to help prolong the messaging around this while building stronger desirability of the Civic Type R and awareness of the success.
In keeping with a true partnership, Honda leant on TopGear’s expertise to help shape the narrative of the content, making the output as editorialised as possible.
- Video – TopGear’s expert video team created an exciting, atmospheric video to bring the characteristics of the car to life
- Native – In keeping with the editorial strategy of TopGear’s digital content, they retraced the history of the Civic Type R to bring out the pedigree and heritage of the model
- Advertorial – Striking print execution in true TopGear style inserted into the issue following the awards result
- Rich media traffic drivers – Video formats targeting relevant hot hatch content, driving people through to the native feature on TopGear.com
- Social – Feeding the video content out to TopGear’s massive social footprint, getting eyeballs on the video and driving people through to the native content
- The campaign delivered 155% of guaranteed views to the native content
- It reached well over 3 million people across all touchpoints
- More than 250,000 video views across all platforms