On November 10, Mediatel hosted a morning event in association with Magnetic, we took a closer look at the evolving magazine media industry. A lineup of influential senior figures from both publishing and agencies debated how the industry is adapting to a digital future, the changing nature of its business models, and the enduring influence of professionally edited, original content.
Pictures from the day can be viewed here and Mediatel Newsline articles from the day can be viewed by clicking on the following links:
The running order from the day is below:
9.30 - Introduction - Derek Jones and Sue Todd
9.35 - Interview – Mediatel Newsline editor, David Pidgeon, with Jan Gooding of Aviva on the topical themes of transparency and the value of content.
9.50 - Editor’s Interview – Former BBC Media Correspondent,Torin Douglas, talks to the editor of Esquire, Alex Bilmes.
10.05 - Panel One: The Current State of Play
The relationship between marketing brands and magazine brands:
Marcus Rich, Time Inc
Duncan Tickell, Immediate
Kerin O’Connor, The Week
- Are magazine brands still essential for marketing brands?
- How can magazine publishing best quantify the ROI they offer advertisers in this more data driven world?
- How does print and digital best work together?
- Editors or algorithms - how much does human connection as opposed to just clicks, matter to brands?
- Growing the brands - does every great magazine brand create a great event opportunity; are publishers slow to grab e-commerce opportunities?
11.00 - Coffee break
11.20 - Editor’s Interview – Former BBC Media Correspondent, Torin Douglas, talks to the editor of Empire, Terri White.
11.35 - Panel Two: 2020 Vision
Strategies and challenges:
Steve Ackerman, Somethin’ Else
Hannah Rouch, Bauer
Jane Wolfson, Hearst
- Does branded content offer the best route for developing deeper partnership relationships with clients?
- Distribution strategies – are customers still going to be prepared to pay?
- Will video replace print as Facebook claim?
- Are marketing partnerships that go beyond the page to events and other channels the way forward?
12.25 - Closing Comments – Derek Jones
Time Inc. UKView biography
Media CommentatorView biography
The WeekView biography
Immediate MediaView biography
Hearst UKView biography
Mediatel NewslineView biography
Media CommentatorView biography
November 2018 | Spark 2018 | Bloomsbury Ballroom, London
September 2018 | Home Truths | The Hospital Club, London
June 2018 | Spotlight Awards 2018 | The Vinyl Factory, London
May 2018 | Media 360 | The Grand, Brighton
May 2018 |The PPA Festival| Tobacco Dock, London
March 2018 | AdWeek Europe | London
February 2018 | Motors Breakfast | Kings Place, London
February 2018 | Spark North | King St Townhouse, Manchester
November 2017 | Solving the Context Crisis | Soho Hotel
October 2017 | FIPP World Congress | Tobacco Dock, London
September 2017 | Spark | 8 Northumberland Avenue, London
July 2017 | SPOTLIGHT |The Vinyl Factory, Soho
June 2017 | Country Homes & Interiors Summer Show | Islington
May 2017 | The Lab | Clerkenwell Green
May 2017| Digital Content Summit | Royal Garden Hotel, London
May 2017 | Media 360 | The Grand, Brighton
May 2017 | ACI’s Publishers Summit | London
May 2017 | The PPA Festival | Tobacco Dock
April 2017 | Cosmopolitan's Self Made Summit | London
March 2017 | Ad Week Europe | Picturehouse Central
Sign up to our monthly newsletter for all the latest developments and the brightest thinking in magazine media.